Monday, September 04, 2006

The Big MO

Thankfully, we only had to drive 269 miles today. I woke up this morning feeling like I hadn't slept five minutes last night. The dogs were restless and growled at every little sound, so I woke up frequently through the night. I told Rick I didn't think I could do any driving today and I didn't.

Before we left the mosquito-infested hotel this morning we had breakfast at the little Mexican restaurant, Don Jose, adjacent to the lobby. Breakfast was good, but the real treat was the beautiful carved wood and brightly painted tables and chairs. The oatmeal was pretty good too.

We drove west to Little Rock then turned north on US65 up to Missouri. I really enjoy getting off the interstates and getting a look at the little towns and houses along the route. Small towns with mom and pop shops are so much more interesting than the typical franchised neighborhoods with cookie cutter houses. I chuckled quite a few times at the names of some businesses:

Jamaica Me Tan, a tanning salon in Greenbriar, Arkansas

St. Joe, AR, population 85 (The thought of a "Saint Joe" just struck me as funny, maybe because I have an uncle Joe who is a hoot). The itty-bitty town had a mercantile general store and very old deteriorating stone cottages roadside. Seeing this town made me interested in the history of this stretch of road.

Goat Chip Hole, the name of a small hole-in-the-wall walk-up fast food joint.

Wreck and Roll Body Shop, in Harrison

Uncommon Grounds, coffee shop in Harrison.

The church sign at Red Oak Baptist Church read:

When you are down to nothing, God is up to something.

Despite a short drive today it seemed to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r and we were so relieved to finally pull up to my mom and dad's place. We are settled in for the evening. The dogs are laid out enjoying the A/C, while Bren, Rick, and my dad are laying on the floor in the living room having fun playing Gin Rummy.

The Lord has so blessed me with a wonderful family and when I am with them I savor every moment. You can't buy this kind of happiness.

1 comment:

deb said...

Interesting, Donna! I love to read signs and see interesting names of towns and streets. Enjoy being with your parents. Also, the picture was great of you and your sis.