Sunday, September 17, 2006

Churches and Shopping

There appears to be many churches in the local area. We have seen many Baptist churches, a Lutheran, Seventh Day Adventist, and an LDS, just in our normal driving around town. I was wondering what the spiritual climate would be like here in Alaska. I really don't have a feeling one way or the other yet, but I was very surprised to discover that KLOVE is broadcast here.

After church today we continued on into town (whenever folks here say they went to town, that means Fairbanks) and found the Wal-Mart to pick up a few school supply items Bren was missing. I was very pleased to see a Subway restaurant in the store instead of McDonalds.

The store is large and seemed to be well-stocked. I noticed the main aisels are bare concrete instead of tile, but it doesn't take anything away from the appearance; just makes it feel more like a warehouse, which is fine.

In the same vicinity of the Wal-Mart we saw a Home Depot, Lowes, and a Fred Meyer, so I imagine we won't run across a need that can't be met at least adequately.

When we first drove through Fairbanks Bren remarked that it wasn't attractive at all. After discussing it, we came to the conclusion that being covered in snow for 7 months out of the year, plus the bitter cold, can take a tole on buildings and streets over time. It looked almost exactly as I expected it would, and I love it!

No comments: