Friday, September 08, 2006

Idaho & Oregon


Well, just barely Oregon. We crossed the border and stopped for the night.

We got a late start this morning and didn't get on the road til about 10:00. We ate at the hotel restaurant then hit Wally World for water because we were under the impression that we would gain an hour today. But of course we didn't. We won't gain another hour until right after we leave Ontario in the morning.

The first part of the drive today was beautiful, and was made even more meaningful as we listened to a sermon on the book of John on CD by Tommy Nelson in which he teaches on Jesus being the Creator of everything.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made. ~ John 1:1-3

I looked at the rock hills like the one in the photo, and imagined them standing for thousands of years and felt a deep sense of just how short life really is. I am deeply grateful the time God has allowed me on this earth to learn to know and serve Him.

We stopped for lunch in Mt. Home. I was excited about the prospect of eating at a Jack-in-The-Box since it had been years since I had eaten one of their yummy rice bowls, but they didn't have any. I settled on a salad while Rick had Subway.

After lunch I took over the driving so Rick could sleep. We had long ago passed the Sawtooth National Forest, and the landscape returned to flat, brown brush, dotted occasionally with lush green crops and wild sunflowers. We could see the many acres of burned land from the recent wildfires. We passed many firefighting crews from different states that are in the area to help with the firefighting efforts.


We ended up in a smoking room tonight which is worse than I thought it would be, but we have a sliding glass door that opens to a grass yard for the dogs, so the smell of smoke is worth the convenience of not having to walk far away from the room in the middle of the night to take the dogs to pee like we had to last night.

As soon as we checked in Rick and I got a workout at the hotel gym. Bren went after we got back (we could see right into the gym area from our window, so we allowed her to go alone as she wished). Rick's now relaxing on the bed watching a Clint Eastwood flick, In The Line of Fire, and Bren's reading her book, I Capture The Castle, and I am blogging :o)

We are excited that tomorrow will be our last day - LORD willing - in the states before we head into Canada on Sunday morning. I'm still a bit nervous about crossing the border with the animals since I received so much conflicting information concerning the document requirements, but I ended up trusting the woman I talked to at the Canadian State Dept. We'll see how it goes.

I have a blogging friend of a couple years that I'm hoping I will be able to meet tomorrow. She lives in the Seattle area and offered to drive to meet us, but her commitments may have changed since we last emailed. I hope it works out!

It's nearly 11 p.m. and time for a good night sleep.

No comments: